Friday, January 20, 2012

Inside My Mind...

I find myself with so many things running through my mind and I can't make them stop.  My mind is going in circles thinking about the Costa Concordia cruise ship, the South Carolina primary tomorrow, thinking about the Presidential candidate nominees, upcoming wedding things, etc, etc.  This is nothing new, as my mind is always going around in circles and spiraling out of control.

My BFF and I were just having a conversation via text about who would be a good President if we had to choose between the current potential candidates.  Boy oh boy, I'm just not sure which way I would turn at this point.  None of these guys meet the criteria I want in a candidate.  I've been reading through their platforms and I'm getting more and more confused on what I actually want in a candidate.  It doesn't really matter what they say anyhow, they know most of their ideas are just political rhetoric that Congress will never pass.  I'm looking for a genuine candidate.  Someone give me something to believe in!  I know that people tend to think of the general public when they cast their vote for President, but I think we should just vote based on our own needs.  Afterall, our vote is our voice, so we have to make it count where we can.  It is important to think of our country as a whole, but at the same time, what may not work for some people may work for others.  As the saying goes, you can't please everyone, so you might as well try and please yourself.  For the most part, we pretty much have the same needs anyway.

I am also thinking about the article that CNN published online about my hometown - Lancaster, SC <http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/19/politics/south-carolina-lancaster/index.html?iref=obnetwork>.  When I read it, I got a depressing feeling.  The same depressing feeling I get every time I pass through my little "podunk" hometown.  And it isn't just me!  A lot of people I know get that same feeling.  Moving away from Lancaster was probably the best thing that could have ever happened to me, even though I was a reluctant 15 year old at the time.  I was telling my BFF earlier not to be mad about the way CNN depicts our town because people who read that article and believe that every resident of Lancaster is a 'hillbilly redneck looking for a handout' are the ones who are narrow-minded.  It really does feel like Lancaster is a dying town, because once people get an opportunity to leave that town, they take it and hardly ever look back.  Otherwise they get sucked in and stay there forever.  I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it makes it that much harder for us to be proud of our hometown when we know deep down inside that Lancaster did nothing for us.

I have been obsessed with the partial sinking of the Costa Concordia - I can't tell you why I am but I am.  I am always checking for updates and I just don't know what to think about this.  I can't believe that people are saying such bad things about the crew and I can't believe the Captain is such a jerk - if the media is correct on how he is being portrayed.  I still believe that cruising is one of the BEST most FUN ways to take a vacation and I also believe this was a RARE, HUMAN error.  I also believe the Concordia had a bad omen since the champagne didn't break on the launch date, then it struck the port in Italy in 2008.  However, I still feel that cruising is a very SAFE way to take a vacation and I know that this incident will be a lesson learned and will result in an even better and much safer cruise experience for those considering a cruise in the future (such as myself for my honeymoon in November...).  And who is this chick the Captain was having dinner with as the ship was sinking??  She is out doing positive publicity for the Captain about how many extra lives he saved, etc, etc - how much extra is she getting paid for that? LOL!  Time will only tell what is going to happen to this Captain and the changes that will be made (for the better!) for the cruising industry.

Next topic: our dog.  We sent off a DNA swab of his a few weeks ago and I am happy to report that we officially know the breed of our precious baby.  He is half italian greyhound, part doberman, part german short haired pointer.  I cannot tell you how excited I am to find out this information!!!  We thought for sure he was going to have pit bull in him and there is none.  This just shows how much of a nerd I am - I get excited over finding out the breeds of our mutt.

The wedding.  Wedding planning is coming along just fine.  We are mostly at a standstill at this point because there isn't anything more we can do until we get the invitations!

I s'pose I've said enough for today - more later!  Tootles!





No comments:

Post a Comment