Saturday, January 14, 2012

Never. Stop. Learning.


You know the old saying, ‘Ya learn something new every day’?  It’s definitely true.  Most importantly is that we recognize this and continue to do so.  I’m going to introduce you to something I like to call an “education meal.”  You have to eat every day, and you must learn every day.  Since I was the age of four or five, I have been provided an education meal.  A meal that was fulfilling and uplifting.    These things that I learned, whether it is learning to tie my shoes or my dad explaining to my how parts of his airplane work, are things that I have carried with me.  They make life more enriching and I believe they should inspire us to learn more.  I hope you’re following me, and if not, I’m sorry – I know that I am random and scatter-brained, I can’t help it!
I will say that as I was getting closer to graduating from college – with no immediate plans to pursue a Master’s degree – I began to feel anxious because I began thinking that I would no longer be receiving my meals.  I was so used to being spoon fed – no pun intended – that I wasn’t sure how I would continue to learn if I was no longer going to be assigned things to learn and think about.  The great thing is that I still find myself learning every day and continuing to grow as a person.  For example, I have been planning my wedding (with the help of my most wonderful fiancé!) since last May and I have seen the highs and lows of stress, something I am continuing to learn more about.  I have always been indecisive and, boy, planning a wedding really puts your decision making ability to the test.  Everyone always says, “Just do what makes you and your fiancé happy.” Well, that’s easier said than done because he and I both want everyone to have a good time, thus we worry about what other people will want and how they will feel.  Plus, we don’t want a crappy DJ.
At any rate, I still have no plans to pursue a Master’s degree in the near future, but I am not wasting any time.  I feel like I am learning about myself and growing as a person and learning to appreciate the things that I didn’t care to take time for while I was in school.  That is most important to me at this point.  Earning an education was a very important milestone in my life, but I view it the same way I view knowing a foreign language.  If you don’t use it, you lose it.  And I have no idea if that’s true or not; it’s just how I feel.  It’s almost as if I don’t continue to be in an educational environment, then I will lose all those years of hard work and learning.  I know it may sound weird but I attribute these feelings to that awkward feeling when you can’t think of a word you want to use, which happens to me quite often.  I wonder if this is a memory lapse or if I’m losing my education.  I’m really not crazy, I swear.  I suppose I’ve said enough for today and for my next entry, I plan to introduce myself.  Tootles!

No comments:

Post a Comment