Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I have Time, God Willing...

If you haven't already tried them, the Hot & Spicy Cheez-its are where it's at.  ....and I do not like Cheez-its.  They are seriously the perfect snack.  Did I mention I don't like hot stuff?  Well, I don't.  But these are the bomb.  I'm not even sure if anyone even says "the bomb" anymore, but that's what they are!!

What does any smart lady do after a long day at work and a nice workout? That's right, I soaked my feet...and ate Cheez-its of course.  It felt wonderful and was very relaxing.  When I first began working as a dispatcher, I would come home from work every day and sit on the couch and absorb nothing but utter silence.  Having someone in your ear for twelve hours a day - albeit talking to them on the 'worst day of their lives' - made me realize how much I thoroughly enjoy peace and quiet.  Who knew?  I still become a nervous wreck at work sometimes.  The best advice I received was to never get comfortable in my position, and I have to a certain degree, but I'm going to quote Forrest Gump and go ahead and say that answering 911 is like a "box of chocolates - you never know what you're gonna get."  Anything from a pet snake running loose in someone's home to someone just getting "knocked up side the head with a baseball bat."  Keeping those nerves under wraps and knowing how to keep your own emotions under control is key.  Nonetheless, it keeps the job interesting and provides a challenge for me everyday, which is a quality in a career I was looking for.

I honestly have no idea what made me want to be a dispatcher.  Perhaps it was the idea that I could help someone, and anyone who knows me knows that I would help anyone I could.  This is definitely not what I pursued a Bachelor's degree for, but I am definitely thankful that I have a job - and one that I love.  Sometimes the twelve hour days are very long, but the days off more than make up for it!  Before I started dispatching, my brother (dispatcher-turned-police-officer) told me that I will LOVE to HATE this job.  It didn't make sense to me at the time when he told me that, but it definitely makes sense now.  I definitely love my job and definitely hate it at other times, but I love the fact that I can love my job and hate it at the same time.  I know that may not make a lot of sense to anyone reading this, but it makes total sense in my mind.  I'm not really sure what the future holds for me as far as a career is concerned, but I'm quite content where I'm at.  Throughout college, I never really had an idea of what I wanted to do post-graduation.  (Still don't!) I majored in Political Science because I liked the curriculum and I enjoyed the class discussions and having a job in a branch of government definitely appealed to me - and still does.  I do believe that everything happens for a reason and I believe that only time will tell which direction will be best for me.  I have time, God willing.

I guess myself and my fellow dispatchers have all been on edge lately as our career fates are in the hands of the Town Commissioners.  Until we find out what will happen to our center after one agency leaves us, I guess we will all be on edge.  Hopefully we will find out something soon so we can put some of these nerves to rest, but until then, I have a feeling it will be at the forefront of all of our minds.

I hope I can continue to keep readers interested in what I have to say and I hope I can keep up the momentum here.  Until next time, Tootles!

No comments:

Post a Comment